Thursday, August 21, 2008

Wow this is a big project

I went to a quilt class Saturday, and started a new project. It's a strip quilt called Jelly Roll Junction. It's colors are yellows, creams, golds, and light browns. The main strips were taken from two of Moda's collections, Summer Bouquet, and Portugal. This is to be a quilt for my mom. What I didn't realize was how big the finished quilt was to be. 71 3/4 x 88 1/4. A little bit more than a twin blanket. I was able to get most of the blocks done at the class, and I finished the quilt top the next day. I decided to use cotton/polyester batting, instead of all polyester. This does make the quilt sandwich easier to work with. But my problem is that I decided instead of straight stitch in ditch method, I would free hand stipple the quilt. Wow, that's a lot of work. I used my work tables and made an L shape to support the quilt as I worked, but I am finding that my wrists and hands can only do so many minutes of quilting before they hurt. An hour at a time. I am also using Fons & Porter quilting gloves. What are these things? Well they are cotton gloves with some type of gripper dots on the fingers and palms. Think of gardening or work gloves with the grip texture on the palm side. These help me move the quilt sandwich while sewing. I started quilting on Monday, and I'm about 2/3 done. I'm quilting the body right now, and I will also stipple the borders. One of the problems I am dealing with right now, is block placement. Because this quilt was so big, I really couldn't lay the blocks on the carpet and see it without something in the way. I should have worked on the layout in the living room. I used the quilt tags I picked up last month to help me mark which block went where, and not get the rows goofed up. Anyways after I had sewn the blocks and the borders on, I realized I could have placed the blocks better. What I mean by that is that a couple of the blocks have matching prints, I wanted to place the blocks so none of the prints were right next to each other. I then decided I would have to check out Home Depot for a large piece of cork, a 5x5 piece and I would mount it on the wall, and I could just pin the blocks up and be able to stand back and see the placement better. I told Neville's mom my problem. She actually suggested using adhesive Velcro on the wall, and a flannel sheet. This is a great idea. I got some yesterday, and I will try it on the Raggy Flowers quilt next when I'm done with those blocks. Right now that quilt has me beat. I haven't even finished cutting out the flower pieces yet. Let alone traced the leaf and stem pattern on the fusible web yet. B and I went to Joann's on Sunday and she bought me all the thread I needed for the quilts. I hope it's enough thread. I've gone through one spool of invisible thread already for mom's quilt, and started on a second spool. I may have to go back and get more of that. Freehand quilting is hard. You can't go too fast, or too slow, and I realize that the back of the quilt is not going to be as pretty as the front because of my beginner skills.

Oh, on a funny note. I got lost Tuesday. I took the cart to the library, and decided, I want to go to Walmart by cart. I had the map with me, and I sort of remembered the directions Neville's mom gave me. Somehow I ended up in the wrong direction. I was heading north east instead of south west. I told her about it, and she had a good laugh. I went over to her house yesterday, and we took her cart out to lunch. She showed me how to get to Walmart, and when someone else is driving the cart, I am able to notice landmarks much easier. No need to worry about looking for landmarks and avoiding trees when you aren't driving. It would be great if there were more path signs. I had a lot of fun with Neville's mom, and lunch was very good. A nice change for the both of us. I am definitely a cart believer. She really pushed the benefits of using a cart versus car, and I now understand. Asshole says I use the cart more than he does, and it's true. I use it now to go to the grocery store, library, and post office. If I could I would take it in the mornings going to school. The other day, I took it to the dry cleaners. I also happened to take a turn too quickly and Asshole's shirts took a tumble out of the cart. Heh heh. A woman came up on me, and asked if I was alright. Oh sure, just took a turn too quick and hubby's shirts fell out.

Oh speaking of the hubby, his name for now will be Asshole. He's constantly acting like a jerk. I believe his PMS is really bad right now. It's not worth it to get into, but he's really being ridiculous. That's my opinion and he's got his. I will validate his, but he hasn't validated mine, and I think that's wrong, so he can go to hell until otherwise.

No comments: